Assessing needs and assets helps inform the group planning and action to follow.
Key Questions to Consider
- What is the current situation? (What trends can be seen in key indicators of health and sustainable development?)
- Who is affected by these issues, how, and to what extent?
- What information will be gathered and reviewed to help choose the priority goal(s) to be addressed?
- What evidence will be used to justify the choice of a priority goal, including marked differences in outcomes for particular groups?
- What determinants produce marked differences in outcomes (inequities) for particular groups?
- What resources and assets can help address the priority goal?
Some Recommended Actions
- __ Gather information to help choose the priority health or sustainable development goal(s). Including:
- Existing data sources on community-level outcomes; look for where there are marked differences in outcomes for particular groups (e.g., related to race/ethnicity, income/poverty, gender, and/or where people live)
- Additional quantitative data (e.g., surveys, observation, small area analysis)
- Qualitative data (e.g., interviews, listening sessions, focus groups)
- __ State evidence justifying the choice of the priority goal(s), including:
- Country/Community-level indicators showing the size of the problem (e.g., rate of communicable diseases, infant deaths)
- How frequently the problem (or related behavior) occurs (e.g., number of particular disease reported/confirmed in the past 30 days)
- The marked differences in outcomes related to race/ethnicity, income/poverty, gender, and/or where people live
- __ Identify social determinants that produce marked differences in outcomes (inequities) for particular groups (e.g., related to race/ethnicity, income/poverty), including:
- Differential exposures and opportunities (e.g., to stress, support networks)
- Differential vulnerabilities and capabilities (e.g., education)
- Differential consequences (e.g., access to quality services, discrimination)
- __ Describe what relevant resources and assets are available, and how the group can use those resources to address the priority goal(s).